GreenFriends Farm utilizes Soil Food Web (SFW) techniques to create the best soil possible for fruit trees. SFW is a science of soil microorganisms and their interaction with plants and the earth. We are using SFW techniques to transform our hard clay soil that is bacterial dominant into a fungal dominant soil that is suitable for fruit trees. For many years GreenFriends Farm hosted Dr. Elaine Ingham’s SFW course.
GreenFriends Farm is implementing the following SFW practices:
- Regular applications of compost tea and compost extract
- Heavy mulching with wood chips rich in fungal food
- Making of thermal compost
- Regular analysis of soil, compost and compost tea under microscope
- Planting cover crops and companion plants to encourage beneficial microorganisms