Join us and be a part of a growing, ecologically conscious and educational orchard!
Applications are now being accepted for the GreenFriends Farm Volunteer Program located at the M.A. Center, Amma’s beautiful San Ramon Ashram in the Bay Area, California. Ideal candidates will bring their background in permaculture, orchard care, and/or land stewardship techniques (or willingness to learn) to care for the land, work with others and live in the ashram community. It is a golden opportunity to learn how to expand and develop existing and new orchards that serve as a global demonstration sites for sustainable farming techniques.
GreenFriends Farm Volunteers serve as key agents for the day-to-day operation of the agricultural activities of GreenFriends Farm. Volunteers participate in all in-class and experiential educational opportunities available at the Farm. These courses provide in-depth instruction in sustainable agricultural and land management practices that are deemed necessary to operate successful fruit tree orchards and to regenerate ecological health in landscapes. Farm Volunteers also assist other GFF daily volunteers in land stewardship, event planning, as well as sales and marketing activities.
- Planning and developing a new orchard site.
- Maintaining and harvesting two orchards with trees ranging from immature to mature.
- Environmental education and sales of produce at local community events.
- Free tuition for permaculture training and coursework held onsite with top tier experts like Geoff Lawton of the Permaculture Research Institute and renowned soil biologist Dr. Elaine Ingham. You will learn sustainable agricultural and land management practices necessary to operate successful farms and fruit tree orchards, be supervised by a team of experts as you learn, and have time to connect with course instructors during their stay. Value of up to $2000 per season.
Sample courses include:
Sample courses include:
- Soil Food Web by Dr. Elaine Ingham – 5-Day Course. Value of $800
- Permaculture Design Course by Living Mandala. $1,200 value
- Food Forestry Course with Eric Toensmeir. Value of $800
- Earthworks Presentation by Urban Permaculture Institute. Up to $900 value
- Geoff Lawton Advanced Permaculture Intensive – 4 Day Course. Value of $800.
- Get hands-on experience implementing innovative permaculture and soil food web techniques in new and existing orchards; educating and training visitors and volunteers in basic techniques; and preparation of products for market. You will be supervised by the GreenFriends Farm Manager and have access to a team of expert advisors for questions and comments to further develop your skills.
- Live in community in an ecologically beautiful and conscious environment.
- Meals and lodging provided.
- Opportunity to gain entry level skills for job and educational advancement in permaculture, farm management, and environmental education.
- Serve on key on-site team for the day-to-day operation of the agricultural activities of GreenFriends Farm.
- Assist GFF personnel in land stewardship, event planning, along with sales and marketing activities related to the Farm.
- Be willing and able to work on the farm projects 38 hours a week including some manual labor and working in seasonal varying weather conditions.
- Be physically fit since some of the activities involve moderate to heavy lifting and repetitive movements.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills; often you will be working with individuals from within the ashram and with the surrounding community.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Reports to the Farm Manager.
- 2-6 months after two week trial period, with ability to extend.
- Preferred Start Date – March 1, 2016
Living at the Ashram
At the Ashram, we live a simple lifestyle. The day begins and ends with optional prayer and meditation, either in the Puja Room or in one’s own room. Rooms are shared with at least one other person. Meals are vegetarian. No alcohol, cigarettes or drugs are allowed on the property and residents and guest are expected to maintain celibacy on the property. During the morning hours you are invited but not required to attend the Archana (chanting of the 1000 names of the Divine Mother) at 5:15 A.M. Dinner is at 6:00pm most nights, followed by bhajans (devotional singing) with closing prayers at approximately 9:00 pm. On Saturdays many devotees from the surrounding areas come to the ashram to perform seva (selfless service) to help maintain the ashram premises. Also on Saturdays at 5:30 pm about 250 devotees come together for an evening of spiritual discourse (satsang), bhajans and dinner. GreenFriends Farm hosts a table to sell produce and product to devotees after satsang.
To Apply: Please submit:
- A cover letter / email to INFO@GREENFRIENDSFARM.ORG.
- Your resume (and/or list of skills sets and experience)
- The names of two references (their contact info and your relationship to them)
We are looking to place applicants as soon as possible. Thank you!!