Apple Tree Planting
Over the past few weeks, the GreenFriends Farm team and volunteers have been preparing to plant several apple trees. Approximately a dozen Golden Delicious apple trees are to be planted.
- The holes are dug to allow at least 3″-4″ of room around the sides.
- Fertilizer amendments were added to the loose soil.
- The holes are deep enough that the root crown will be about 1″-2″ above the grade (measured from the midpoint of the pit when on a slope).
- Gopher baskets will stick 2″-3″ above the root crown. A fine mesh screen will be added to deter the field mice.
- After the trees are in their baskets at the correct height, backfill using the loose soil and tamp it down to remove large air pockets.
- Lastly, the trees will be watered.
In addition, the team was harvesting persimmons. Persimmon is the national fruit of Japan. They are usually in season between September and December and are a good source of potassium, phosphorous, and Vitamin C.